State and Local Law & Government Web Sites*
*Does not include Minnesota, does include U.S. Territories.
Links on this page verified 11/12. Direct feedback on this page to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Starting Points
- State Materials at the Univ. of Minnesota Law Library
A detailed, state-by-state list of states' primary & secondary materials held at the Univ. of Minnesota Law Library.
- State Online Legal Information (AALL)
AALL and chapter volunteers researched primary legal materials in their states to determine if online legal materials are trustworthy and preserved for permanent public access. Information is provided about the online Administrative Code, Administrative Register, Statutes, Session Laws, High Court Opinions and Appellate Court Opinions in all 50 states and the District of Columbia in the following categories: Official status, authentication, preservation, permanent public access, coyright, universal citation.
- FindLaw's State Resources page
A comprehensive collection of links to legal and government resources and information for U.S. states, D.C. & U.S. territories.
- State Resources: State Govt. & Legislative Info (WashLaw Web - Washburn Univ. School of Law)
- State Legislatures, State Laws and State Regulations: Website Links & Phone Numbers
(Law Librarians' Society of Washington, D.C. - Legislative Research SIS)
- State Legislative History Guides on the Web
A collection of links to guides available on the web compiled by the Univ. of Indiana Bloomington, Law Library.
- State Government Information Links to Meta-Indexes and individual states, (Library of Congress)
- State Constitutions FindLaw's links to the constitutions of all 50 states.
- National Governors Association
- National Association of Secretaries of State
- National Conference of State of Legislatures (NCSL)
- NCSL Issues & Research
"NCSL conducts policy research in a variety of areas ranging from agriculture and budget and tax issues and education to health care and immigration and transportation." The Issues & Research section of the NCSL web site includes access to the NCSL Bill or Statute Summaries & Databases which provides analysis and comparisions for bills or statutes in hundreds of issue areas. The summaries and databases may be sorted by issue, area, title or date.
- Local Government and Politics (Univ. of Michigan Documents Center)
Links to local government information including law-related resources and public policy issues.
- State and Local Government on the Net Arranged by jurisdictions and associations, (Piper Resources)
- Hieros Gamos Compliation of U.S. States (Hieros Gamos)
State Courts: Opinions, Information & Associations
- National Center for State Courts (NCSC)
"The National Center for State Courts is an independent, nonprofit court improvement organization founded at the urging of Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Warren E. Burger. He envisioned NCSC as a clearinghouse for research information and comparative data to support improvement in judicial administration in state courts."
Administrative Codes & Registers
- Municipal Codes Provides text of some municipal codes and ordinances arranged by state. Keyword search of multiple codes available. (Municipal Code Corporation)
- Municipal Codes on the Internet Provides text of some municipal codes and ordinances arranged by state. Search engine provided. (General Code Publishers)